Tuesday, March 11, 2014

What's for Dinner?

One of the things I dislike most about being a housewife is deciding what 's for dinner. Maybe that's you too? Here's what we're having tonight. If I know the source of the recipe, it is included.

First, we are having Parmesan Chicken. It's simple, really. I take a two pound pack of boneless, skinless chicken breasts and cut them into "chicken strips." Then I coat each piece with sour cream (I usually use fat free or reduced fat). Then I dredge eat piece in grated Parmesan cheese. I lay the strips out on a shallow baking sheet covered with non stick foil (or parchment paper...whatever is handy). Then I bake them at 400 degrees for 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked thoroughly and juices run clear. If you wish, you can season each piece with salt and pepper as well.

Next, we are having Asparagus Bundles. I got this recipe from the Food Network's website. This is a recipe from the show "Home Cooking with Trisha Yearwood."

Ingredients:
2 lbs fresh asparagus, ends trimmed (Got this on sale at Walmart last week)
12 slices bacon
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1 Tbsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees
Divide the asparagus spears into 12 bundles. Carefully wrap 1 piece of bacon around each bundle, starting about 1/2 inch from the bottom of the tips. Secure the bacon-wrapped spears with a toothpick. Lay the bundles in a shallow casserole dish.
In a medium saucepan, combine the brown sugar, butter, soy sauce, garlic salt and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil. Pour the hot mixture over the asparagus bundles. Transfer the dish to the oven and roast until the spears have begun to wilt and the bacon looks fulled cooked, about 25 minutes. Remove the toothpicks before serving.

Next, we are having Ranch Potatoes. I simply wash a few red potatoes, half then slice into bite-sized pieces. I put them into a Ziploc bag with an envelope of Ranch dressing mix. Shake to coat. Then I put on a non-stick foil-lined baking sheet. Bake at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes or until tender and browned.

Finally, we are having Crock Pot Peach Cobbler for dessert. Peach Cobbler has always been one of my most loved desserts, especially topped with vanilla ice cream. This recipe comes from Chef in Training, one of my FAVORITE blogs for meal ideas and recipes.

Ingredients: (ONLY 3!)
2 (21 oz) cans peach pie filling
1 box yellow cake mix (dry)
1/2 cup (1 stick) of butter (cold)

Directions:
Spray crock pot with cooking spray. Dump pie filling into the bottom of crock pot. Spread evenly. Pour cake mix on top of peach filling, evenly distributing. Slice the butter into thin squares and lay them on top of the cake mix. Cover and cook on LOW for 3-4 hours or until top is golden brown.
I always serve with vanilla ice cream.

Hopefully this gives you an idea for something new to cook for dinner!

FYI:  We had the Crock Pot Peach Cobbler. It was okay, at best. I thought it was a little too sweet. It may have been the pie filling I used. Also, the top was supposed to be brownish after 3-4 hours. It was not....except for around the edges. If you try this, let me know how yours turns out, and I might try it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment