Tuesday, March 25, 2014

One day at a time...

So...I made it through day one of my new healthier eating,without much of an issue. I was busy today, but I still managed to eat pretty well, I think. Here's what I had for breakfast. I scrambled one egg with half a slice of 2% cheddar cheese, and I had 1 slice of turkey bacon and a Halo (mandarin orange). It kept me satisfied most of the morning. I had some shopping and errands to do, so I had lunch out.  Normally, I would grab a burger or chicken strips, or whatever fast food is close by. Today, I tried the new Wendy's Asian Cashew Chicken salad. It was pretty good....and only380 calories. That and a water was fine until I got home.
I did my grocery shopping today. I tried to shop mostly the perimeter of the store, and I did pretty well. When I got home, I got busy! I chopped bell pepper, broccoli, zucchini, washed grapes, and cleaned out my refrigerator. I figured if I got some veggies prepared, I wouldn't reach for something I would later regret. For dinner, I had marinated some thin-sliced boneless pork cutlets in a mixture of fresh garlic, lemon juice and olive oil. I let it marinate over night. Today I grilled it on my George Foreman grill. Let me tell you...it was delicious! I also roasted asparagus (with a few sprays of olive oil, kosher salt, and freshly ground pepper). Finally, I baked some small potatoes in the microwave. The wonderful thing about it is I didn't have to cook something different for the rest of my crew. They ate it and enjoyed it (well...except for maybe the asparagus)! For dessert, (yes...I said dessert) we had Gina Neely's Grilled Pineapple Sundae. The recipe called for fat free frozen vanilla yogurt. Well, if there is such a thing...someone please tell me what kind and where to buy it. Kroger didn't have it, so I read the labels of ALL of the vanilla frozen yogurts in the store, and I chose the one with the least amount of fat (1.5 grams). 
So, I will pat myself on the back for how well I ate today. I feel good about all the fruits and veggies I had. The biggest hurdle for me to get over will be portion control. I can even over do the healthy stuff!
Thank you Lord for helping me today! And thank you for all of the kind words of encouragement I've been getting here and on Facebook. It means a lot!

No comments:

Post a Comment