Thursday, February 20, 2014

Being a Southern Girl

Hey everybody! My name is Kim, but my husband says a lot of our southern friends and family call me "Kee-um" with that extra syllable. We southerners get made fun of for a lot of things, like how we talk and even how we react to the weather. Believe me when I say, though, we don't all talk like Paula Deen! I love living here in our little corner of SC, and I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.
I grew up in one part of South Carolina and later moved to another part of SC, only to meet and marry the love of my life, Ed, a genuine "Yankee," as my dad calls him. We were so different when we first started dating. I can remember those earlier outings clearly, though it was 24 years ago. I think Ed believed I had a hearing problem because of the number of times I said, "Huh? What? Say that again?" I couldn't understand much of anything he said; his PA accent was so strong! Needless to say we made it through that, and we now understand each other perfectly...well, almost!
We live together in a part of the state known as the CSRA (Central Savannah River Area) with our two sons, ages 17 and 11. I can honestly say I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. We're less than two hours from the coast, an hour from the state capital and the university my son will most likely attend, and we're three hours from extended family. We've been in the same house for the last 15 years. I am a 49 year old stay-at-home mom who loves living among the oaks, pine trees and green grass (at least in the summer), in the house with rocking chairs on the wrap around porch, and listening to the storm door slam on a warm day. That's me, Kee-um, in a nutshell. Just a simple southern girl with a few things to say. Hope you'll stick around to listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment